httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: Finish 1.2!
Date Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:35:12 GMT
On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> > > Here's a timetable:
> > >
> > >   01/14 Release 1.2b5
> >
> > Urp.  If I'm unlucky, it may be a couple of days after that before I can
> > finsh snprintf patches, have them looked at, and we can sort out a few
> > details about how they should be compiled in.  If buffer overflow fixes
> > are going to go in 1.2, they need to be in the next beta.
>
> I consider that to be a priority as well, and worth waiting for.  Biting the
> bullet: it will need at least a b6 to account for porting issues related to
> snprintf, I'm guessing.  So back up my timetable by a week?
>
> 01/21 Release 1.2b5  (with snprintf)
> 01/28 Release 1.2b6
> 02/04 Release 1.2 final?

Hopefully not that long for my stuff; I'm hoping to have it mostly done
this weekend (11th-12th) but if not it may be the next one (18th-19th)
before I can get the time.

I'm guessing there will need to be a b6 for snprintf porting issues, but
hoping there won't.  It is looking better than I had hoped in terms of
portability, but only time will tell.

> > I'm wondering if the FIN_WAIT_2 thing may start causing a lot of problems
> > after release?  There are a good number of people having tons of
> > connections stuck in FIN_WAIT_2 that they didn't have before 1.2 but do
> > with 1.2.
>
> I wish we knew more about what may be causing this.  Certainly adding a note to
> the docs suggesting toggling the lingering close code may be appropriate, yet I
> haven't seen conclusive evidence that that's the problem.  For what it's worth
> it's not been a problem on any of the servers I watch (Solaris with 1.5 mill
> hits/day, BSDI with ~150K, SGI with ~40K).

Is the BSDI box patched to have a FIN_WAIT_2 timeout?

Anyone have a list of addresses of people who have been having trouble?
It wouldn't hurt to send out a little survey with a few questions (ie.
what OS, does this happen with 1.1.1, does it happen if you modify this in
the source, does it happen if you modify that in the source, etc.) ...