httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@znep.com>
Subject Re: snprintf()
Date Tue, 07 Jan 1997 16:50:41 GMT
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Chuck Murcko wrote:
> >
> > Marc Slemko liltingly intones:
> > >

> > > Note that I think any implementation, especially if it is done
> > > before 1.2, needs to have a quick define that can be easily done
> > > to make it just a wrapper around sprintf in case the snprintf won't
> > > compile on a particular platform.
> > >
> > This is a Good Thing.
> >

> If we provide a snprintf(), it _better_ work and compile. What's
> the sense of rewriting code to us snprintf() when our failsafe for
> snprintf() is a wrapper around sprintf()? :)

If you are volunteering to test it on every platform that exists, I
welcome your input.  But the fact is I don't think we have the resources
required to test on every single platform that apache runs on before a
release, no matter how early in the beta cycle this went in.  We can
probably cover the platforms that somthing like 90% of the users use, but
we need to be prepared for the case that it won't compile on some
platform.  In that case, the ability to make it simply use a wrapper
around sprintf means that Apache still works on that platform as well as
it would have without any snprintf patches.