httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <>
Subject Re: multiple non-IP intensive virtual hosts
Date Thu, 30 Jan 1997 15:18:55 GMT
On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> If they're Host-based servers (they have the same IP address as the
> main server), then you should use the following:
> <VirtualHost>
> DocumentRoot /whatever
> ServerName
> ServerAlias
> </VirtualHost>
> That's what ServerAlias is for. It lets you give Host-based virtual
> hosts any number of names (you can use wildcards, too).

Can this be documented someplace, preferebly in the manual AND the
.conf file provided with the source. If it is documented, it probably
needs to be made clearer.
I had a report to bugs mail about this where the submitter looked at
the docs and decided that the multiple names could go in the
<VirtualHost > line. The docs quote he showed me seemed to support
his interpretation.

> The multiple names in <VirtualHost> only works, I believe, if they
> have seperate IP addresses; that's what it was written for, I believe.

Doh!   :-)

View raw message