httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject [BUG]: "DocumentRoot behaves strangely within VirtualHost" on Irix (fwd)
Date Tue, 28 Jan 1997 11:30:59 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon Jan 27 14:07:19 1997
From: bentlema@cs.umn.edu
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Subject: [BUG]: "DocumentRoot behaves strangely within VirtualHost" on Irix

Submitter: bentlema@cs.umn.edu
Operating system: Irix, version: 6.2
Version of Apache Used: 1.2b6
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
When specifying DocumentRoot within a VirtualHost
declaration, the URL *MUST* match the ServerName
specified.  This is a problem specific to using
VirtualHosts.  I'm running another apache server
without VirtualHosts, and I can specify URL's like:
http://www/
http://www.cs/
http://www.cs.umn.edu/
And they all resolv to the full host name, and
the index.html loads each time.  This is not the
case when using virtual hosts...

For example, if I Have:

<VirtualHost winter.cs.umn.edu>
   ServerName winter.cs.umn.edu
   DocumentRoot /export/servers/web/root/htdocs
</VirtualHost>

And try to access http://winter/ I get the following
error in my log:

    access to /usr/local/etc/httpd failed for
    melange.cs.umn.edu, reason: File does not exist

But when I access http://winter.cs.umn.edu/ it
works fine.  *BUT* if I change the ServerName to
simple "winter" (without the .cs.umn.edu) the
problem is exactly reversed.

===========

Symptoms:
--
This is some more info on my previous bug report:

Adding a "global" DocumentRoot (ouside of the
VirtualHost) sortof fixes the problem.  It acts
as a "fall-back" DocumentRoot.

For example:
   When I access: http://winter/
              or: http://winter.cs/

   I get the global DocumentRoot.  But when
    I access: http://winter.cs.umn.edu/
    I get the DocumentRoot specified within
    the VirtualHost declaration.

Also, ServerName doesn't affect the behavior of
DocumentRoot outside the VirtualHost declaration,
as it *DOES* withing a VirtualHOst declatation.