httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject [BUG]: "3 seconds delay in CGI execution" on SunOS 4.x (fwd)
Date Fri, 24 Jan 1997 16:58:46 GMT

acked.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri Jan 24 6:03:23 1997
From: rindfuss@medea.wz-berlin.de
To: apache-bugs%apache.org@organic.com
Subject: [BUG]: "3 seconds delay in CGI execution" on SunOS 4.x

Submitter: rindfuss@medea.wz-berlin.de
Operating system: SunOS 4.x, version:
Version of Apache Used: 1.2b4
Extra Modules used:
URL exhibiting problem:

Symptoms:
--
Parts of our Web pages are generated with PERL 5 scripts. Pages containing script output show
up with a delay of 3 seconds (there was no such delay in Apache 1.1.1).
I tracked the problem down to source file alloc.c, function free_proc_chain. This function
contains a conditional call to sleep(3), which causes the delay. I think that the program
logic there should be re-considered.

---------- End of forwarded message ----------

The code seems to unchanged from 1.1.1

 for (p = procs; p; p = p->next) {
    if (p->kill_how == kill_after_timeout) {
      /* Subprocess may be dead already.  Only need the timeout if not. */
      if (kill (p->pid, SIGTERM) != -1)
        need_timeout = 1;
    } else if (p->kill_how == kill_always) {
      kill (p->pid, SIGKILL);
    }
  }

  /* Sleep only if we have to... */

  if (need_timeout) sleep (3);

So CGI included as SSI hangs around for longer and needs to be SIGTERM'ed.
Anyone know why that might be ?

rob