httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Agenda for 1.2b7
Date Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:59:29 GMT
1.2b7 status as of 7:00pm PST, Monday:

  * Committed since 12:20pm Sunday:
       * Correct a critical typo (csd > 0) and ready to roll 1.2b6
       * A/UX needs sys/time.h for btestread
       * allow whitespace after comma in mod_imap, see PR#106
       * Get CHANGES file in sync with reality.
       * fix mod_info output corruption due to buff changes
       * new 1.2b6 tarball created
       * Current server version updated to 1.2b7-dev

  * Released 1.2b6 to public.  Yeeha!

  * Some mirrors are out-of-date, Brian will investigate

  * This is the last status message that I will produce, at least until
    I can figure out how to do it automatically.  I need to work on my
    other projects for a bit, so somebody else needs to be release manager
    for 1.2b7.  Volunteers?

Agenda for 1.2b7-dev
====================
Patches ready for testing, voting:

  * None

Should be done before 1.2b7:

  * Improvements in chunked performance by reducing buffer count sent

  * Marc says Apache won't compile with HAVE_SNPRINTF defined as things
    are now because not everything includes conf.h.

  * warnings in regex
               a mess on Solaris when using -Wall.

  * warning on SunOS4, http_log.c:164, pointer from int without cast

  * core dump if an error in .htaccess & subrequest
       Info: <lampa@fee.vutbr.cz> reports that if sub_req_lookup_uri() is
             called, then per_dir_config in subrequest is not initialized
             until directory_walk is done. If any error is encountered during
             this time, log_reason() will core dump, since it calls
             get_remote_host() with r->per_dir_config.
       Solution: Initialize per_dir_config in set_sub_req_protocol()
             (see initialization of regular request in read_request()!).

  * Solaris 2.6 apparently has a getwd() or getcwd() prototype, see PR#89

  * suexec setuid() before directory checks for nfs mounted filesystems, PR#70

  * suexec does not pass "foobar" as argv[1] when URL is /cgi/somecgi?foobar

  * new header_parse API hook is called too often
       suggests that mod_browser be optimised by detecting if it has been
       called already and returning early if it has.

  * lingering_close generates the following error message
      shutdown: Transport endpoint is not connected - lingering_close
    using 1.2b6 (only a few a day).  I think this is what
    happens when a client disconnects during transmission, which
    is a normal condition for web servers.  I suggest not logging
    an error if errno == ENOTCONN.
      Marc says that this may not be "normal", it may be if the client
    sends a RST to terminate the connection (as per recent discussion on
    end2end-interest) and it gets here before we get to that point in
    lingering_close.

  * accept errors EPROTO and ECONNABORTED should not be logged

  * directory redirect returns 302 not 301, see PR 77

  * SO_DEBUG in proxy_ftp.c may not be portable, see PR 116, 104

  * bugs in mod_negotiation (serious)
               It is a very good, detailed report with patches.

  * 3 seconds delay in CGI execution on SunOS 4.x, see PR 122
       Info: Pages containing script output show up with a delay of 3
             seconds (there was no such delay in Apache 1.1.1).
             [rindfuss@medea.wz-berlin.de] tracked the problem down to
             source file alloc.c, function free_proc_chain. This function
             contains a conditional call to sleep(3), which causes the delay.

       for (p = procs; p; p = p->next) {
          if (p->kill_how == kill_after_timeout) {
            /* Subprocess may be dead already.  Only need the timeout if not. */
            if (kill (p->pid, SIGTERM) != -1)
              need_timeout = 1;
          } else if (p->kill_how == kill_always) {
            kill (p->pid, SIGKILL);
          }
        }

        /* Sleep only if we have to... */

        if (need_timeout) sleep (3);

        [RobH: So CGI included as SSI hangs around for longer and needs
               to be SIGTERM'ed.  Why?]

        [Roy: note also that a call to sleep will blow-out any other timeout]

  * mod_rewrite is incorrectly rewriting things in 1.2b6 from
    /cgi-bin/whatever?parms      to...     /http?parms

Planning/design items:

    * Should we change the default timeout of 1200?