httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: pipelining and chunking
Date Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:24:38 GMT
> In the meanwhile, I hope to get a chance later this week to use the libwww
> robot to test chunking.  I'd like to implement the performance tweak I was
> talking about, is there any chance of it getting into 1.2?  Here's the
> outline:
>
> - add char *chunk_header to the buff structure.  If non-null then this points
>   to the first byte of a chunk header in the buffer.  This is set by the
>   switch to chunking, and at that time enough space is reserved for the
>   header (you know how big it'll be at that time).  Since the chunk trailer
>   requires two bytes I'll also decrease bufsiz by two at this time (or
>   implement some other kludge).
>
> - when flushing the buffer, twiddle chunk_header if required, tack on the
>   chunk trailer, flush away.  Start off a fresh buffer with a new
>   chunk_header, and outcnt set appropriately.
>
> This essentially eliminates all the bflush()s that we have left.  It's
> not as elegant as layered i/o, but it should do the job.

I'd like to see this in 1.2, since this type of single-write operation
is how chunked was intended to be implemented.  In fact, I started off
with a fixed length chunk-size design for this reason.  If the above doesn't
work, then I would still prefer the space-padding solution over the
existing code.

.....Roy