httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src mod_info.c
Date Tue, 28 Jan 1997 02:17:48 GMT
All of my commits are done remotely -- it is a significant improvement
over logging into hyperreal.  Here are the setup notes:

From: Jim Jagielski <jim@jagunet.com>
Subject: CVS hints... for the clueless (like me)
To: new-httpd@hyperreal.com
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 1996 18:24:37 -0500 (EST)

I had some very troublesome troubles getting remote CVS usage to work.

For those who haven't yet taken the plunge, maybe my lessons-learned
will help:

    1. Don't try anything until you are made a member of the 'cvs'
       group on hyperreal.com ("remote")

    2. Ditto until you have CVS up and running on your machine ("local")

    3. Don't use 'ksh' on hyperreal... Doesn't seem to like working remotely.
       Instead, use 'tcsh' (with ksh, CVSROOT wouldn't been seen
       remotely :( )

    4. Make sure that "remote" .cshrc has:

	setenv CVSROOT /export/home/cvs
	setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/X11/bin:/bin:/sbin
	setenv CVS_SERVER /usr/local/bin/cvs

       This is because there is an older version of 'cvs' floating
       around hyperreal (1.3) which doesn't support the 'server'
       option. Sooooo if your PATH selects that one, you'll get an
       error message (this was semi-tricky)

    5. On your local system, set CVSROOT as "hyperreal.com:/export/home/cvs"
       This allows for things like:

	cvs checkout apache

       without using the '-d' option.

    6. Also, make sure that 'CVS_RSH' is correct for your setup.

To Use:

    a. Test the remote command capability:

	$ remsh hyperreal.com ls
	    - or -
	$ rsh hyperreal.com ls

    b. Log onto hyperreal.com as see if you can:

	> cvs checkout apache
	> cd ..
	> cvs release -d apache

    c. If that's OK, then from your local system, see if the below
       works:

	$ mkdir sources
	$ cd sources
	$ cvs checkout apache