httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Countdown to 1.2b5
Date Sat, 25 Jan 1997 05:17:55 GMT
1.2b5-dev status as of 9:15pm PST, Friday:

  * All Must-Do items have been applied.
    Also committed: * suexec add TZ to allowed environment variables
                    * disable the can_exec() when suexec() is enabled.

  * Time for me to get some sleep.  My changes to http_main.c are
    getting backlogged while waiting for review. :(

  * Randy says he'll generate a tarball Saturday when we call for one.
    Let's make it a deadline of 2pm Randy's time (12pm PST), since I'll
    need to come into the office and commit some things first.

  * RobH wants us to test it before a public release.

Should do before 1.2b5, if they get done by Saturday:

  * Select/accept parameter reinitialization

  * patch to can_exec (util.c) that Randy says fixes something,
    but he didn't say what and I can't tell from looking at it. :P

  * lingering_close generates the following error message
      shutdown: Transport endpoint is not connected - lingering_close
    using current 1.2b5-dev (only a few a day).  I think this is what
    happens when a client disconnects during transmission, which
    is a normal condition for web servers.  I suggest not logging
    an error if errno == ENOTCONN.

  * accept errors EPROTO and ECONNABORTED should not be logged

  * Bad log message in mod_dir
       Marc Slemko wrote: if permission is denied for the index file
       it will log a message in the error log for each and every one of the
       'DirectoryIndex'es.  Perhaps another ifdef wrapped if that doesn't
       log the message if the error is EACCES...

       And as I mentioned before I hate the log message:

          log_printf(r->server, "access to %s failed for client; unable to
          determine if index file exists (stat() returned unexpected
          error[%d])", r->filename, errno);

       that I wrote.

               a prior bug fix and it really is useless.

Maybe Can do before 1.2b5?

  * suexec setuid() before directory checks for nfs mounted filesystems

  * make_child and SERVER_STARTING forever
               change is committed.

  * new header_parse API hook is called too often

  * mod_status needs "." to be explained, or maybe not

  * core dump if an error in .htaccess & subrequest
       Info: <lampa@fee.vutbr.cz> reports that if sub_req_lookup_uri() is
             called, then per_dir_config in subrequest is not initialized
             until directory_walk is done. If any error is encountered during
             this time, log_reason() will core dump, since it calls
             get_remote_host() with r->per_dir_config.
       Solution: Initialize per_dir_config in set_sub_req_protocol()
             (see initialization of regular request in read_request()!).

  * Solaris 2.6 apparently has a getwd() or getcwd() prototype, see PR#89

  * Solaris 2.6 has "uname -X" working, so GuessOS fails, see PR#60

Deferred until after 1.2b5:

  * allow whitespace after comma in mod_imap, see PR#106

  * directory redirect returns 302 not 301, see PR 77

  * SO_DEBUG in proxy_ftp.c may not be portable, see PR 166

  * bugs in mod_negotiation (serious)
               It is a very good, detailed report with patches.

  * report from some folks at w3c.org about pipelined requests
       Info: http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Performance/Apache.html

  * 3 seconds delay in CGI execution on SunOS 4.x
       Info: Pages containing script output show up with a delay of 3
             seconds (there was no such delay in Apache 1.1.1).
             [rindfuss@medea.wz-berlin.de] tracked the problem down to
             source file alloc.c, function free_proc_chain. This function
             contains a conditional call to sleep(3), which causes the delay.

       for (p = procs; p; p = p->next) {
          if (p->kill_how == kill_after_timeout) {
            /* Subprocess may be dead already.  Only need the timeout if not. */
            if (kill (p->pid, SIGTERM) != -1)
              need_timeout = 1;
          } else if (p->kill_how == kill_always) {
            kill (p->pid, SIGKILL);
          }
        }

        /* Sleep only if we have to... */

        if (need_timeout) sleep (3);

        [RobH: So CGI included as SSI hangs around for longer and needs
               to be SIGTERM'ed.  Why?]

        [Roy: note also that a call to sleep will blow-out any other timeout]