httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: mutex lock files
Date Mon, 20 Jan 1997 11:10:56 GMT
>From the fingers of Jim Jagielski flowed the following:
>
>Wasn't there some discussion about moving the lock files for the
>accept mutex into someplace like the logs directory? I just
>re-noticed the _MACHTEN_ stuff for /usr/tmp or /var/tmp stuff.

    For accessibility/portability/security this seems an excellent idea.

    Umm.. it just occurred to me; is this such a good idea after all?
    What if there *isn't* a logs directory under ServerRoot?  What if
    the logs are being written to wild places like /tmp or
    /some/users/homedir or /dev/null?  What if there's no logging being
    done at all?  Was the lockfile directory going to be inherited from
    the main server's TransferLog setting?

    We want to put these in a known safe place, but I'm not sure there
    *is* one we can count on existing other than ServerRoot.  It's
    unclear to me whether we want to put these in a user-configurable
    place - but on second blush, I'd say not.  Since the file is
    concealed after being opened, I like the idea of putting it in
    ServerRoot.  If the User directive causes identity to switch, we
    must have been started with superuser authority (mustn't we? any
    OSes that allow this from non-root accounts?), in which case we
    should have write access to ServerRoot; if there's no User directive
    and we're being started under a private account, we almost certainly
    have write access to ServerRoot by dint of [probable] ownership.
    Unless somebody puts a complete Apache configuration on a CD.. <g>

    Am I off the wall here?  I just woke up, after all..

    #ken    |-O} <yawn>