httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: snprintf and release schedule
Date Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:12:12 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> > Marc Slemko wrote:
> > >
> > > If people agree with my last comments on the lingering close stuff, I
> > > think those changes (ie. rip out all lingering close stuff, add a
> > > shutdown() before close() in child_main) should also go in the next beta.
> > >

> > I think that we should change things so lingering_close is NOT used
> > by default, but still leave the code in. There may be some OSs
> > (SysV4-based) that would benefit).
> >
> > I'm curious why shutdown would be needed though, before close...
> >

> Working backwards on reading Email, I see the quote from the sockets
> FAQ. With that in mind, I'd say that lingering_close() is unneeded
> and should be scrapped. Also, that the close be wrapped by a shutdown
> iff SysV4-based.

According to that FAQ you need _either_ shutdown or SO_LINGER. I suppose it
is vaguely possible that you may need both. I'd be inclined not to scrap
lingering_close() instantly, but to provide options to do any combinations
of the following:

1. USE_SO_LINGER
2. USE_SHUTDOWN
3. USE_LINGERING_CLOSE

And recommend that people test in the following order:

1. No options (which we make the default)
2. USE_SO_LINGER
3. USE_SHUTDOWN
4. USE_LINGERING_CLOSE
5. USE_SO_LINGER and USE_SHUTDOWN
6. USE_SO_LINGER and USE_LINGERING_CLOSE
7. USE_SHUTDOWN and USE_LINGERING_CLOSE
8. USE_SO_LINGER and USE_SHUTDOWN and USE_LINGERING_CLOSE

Of course, USE_SHUTDOWN and USE_LINGERING_CLOSE are nearly mutually exclusive
- I'd propose that USE_SHUTDOWN controls the final shutdown() in
lingering_close() when it is enabled.

Then, if any of these solve the problem, we need to know which, and the
platform.

Since it is easy to get confused when juggling these options, I'd also propose
that we (at least temporarily) log them in the server log. Might be a good idea
anyway, actually! And print them when the "-v" flag is used.

Cheers,

Ben.