httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ed Korthof" ...@organic.com>
Subject Re: n + 1 MaxClients?
Date Wed, 08 Jan 1997 23:59:48 GMT
On Jan 8,  3:53pm, Ed Korthof wrote:
> Subject: Re: n + 1 MaxClients?
> Looking at the code, I don't think that you actually had more than
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT -- probably the a child switched from idle to busy status
> while the functions counted the children were running.

I should ammend that -- this holds only if you used the /status handler to get
the information, as the description implied.  If 'ps -ef | grep httpd | grep -v
grep | wc -l' produces a number one larger than HARD_SERVER_LIMIT, that is
correct (since the parent server isn't counted amoung the children).  If it
produces a number two larger, then there is a more serious problem and there
really are more than HARD_SERVER_LIMIT children running (unless there's
recently been a graceful restart, and some of the children are hanging around).
 That would be very bad.  I attempted to reproduce it, but was unable; if you
can produce that error, I'd like to know.

--
     -- Ed Korthof        |  Web Server Engineer --
     -- ed@organic.com    |  Organic Online, Inc --