httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Nested dirs with .htaccess: only last one prevails. Security bug!" on BSDI (fwd)
Date Mon, 06 Jan 1997 18:50:41 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> Any comments ?
>
> Are .htaccess files meant to override eachother. The "AllowOverride"
> directive sounds like that's the case.

It isn't as simple as that. I agonised over this for the book, but gave up on
it in the end. The trouble is that the behaviour of nested .htaccess (and,
indeed, nested anything-elses) is defined by the directory merger for the
module. mod_access doesn't have one, so the default behaviour obtains, which
is for the lowest level to override all others[1]. This ought to be true for
1.1.1, too, so I'm a little puzzled that it wasn't seen there.

AllowOverride determines whether .htaccess files are allowed to modify certain
things _at all_, not the way in which it modifies them.

It is my growing feeling that altogether too much is left to chance in this
configuration business.

I have to say that, IMO, the principle of least amazement is not being followed
in this case.

On the other hand, how you merge "order allow,deny" with "order deny,allow" is
an interesting question. Probably by preserving the entire chain of access
permissions, and testing from top to bottom, following the prevailing rule at
each level.

It is worth noting that if we change this behaviour, it'll break existing
sites unless we make it configurable.

Cheers,

Ben.

Footnote 1: the mere presence of a .htaccess file will cause an empty
configuration to be created for every module.