httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Header Parse API
Date Fri, 03 Jan 1997 20:29:17 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > Here's the patch to add an extra API for header parsing. As you can see, its
> > pretty simple. I've only added it to the main request processor, and not to the
> > subrequest processors, on the grounds that the headers from the client only
> > happen in the main request. There is room for debate here, though.
> >
> > I've tested it lightly, and BrowserMatch still works, so I guess its mostly OK.
> > I'd like to commit it so people can test it easily - if its OK then I'll do the
> > changes for mod_auth to make it user BrowserMatch instead. I will undertake to
> > remove the changes if, in the end, the mod is not approved.
> What I'm wondering is how adding the extra slot to the end of the
> module structure is going to affect existing modules, which won't have
> the extra NULL. Will this compile and run on all compilers? Glancing
> at K&R, it would seem to indicate this is legal, but it doesn't give
> me the happiest of feelings.

I am completely certain that it is legal. I'll be pretty surprised if any
compiler balks at it. Furthermore, it _will_ be initialised to NULL (assuming
NULL is an all-zero bit-pattern, which we already assume).

> Whatever you do, be sure and bump up the MODULE_MAGIC_NUMBER.

I already have. I think.

Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
Technical Director        URL:
A.L. Digital Ltd,         Apache Group member (