httpd-dev mailing list archives

From c...@decus.org (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject Re: Request (fwd)
Date Fri, 03 Jan 1997 20:50:54 GMT
>From the fingers of Alexei Kosut flowed the following:
>On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Rob Hartill wrote:
>>
>> not acked.
>>
>> Mmmm. -1
>>
>> ----- Forwarded message from Casey Palowitch -----
>>

>[...]
>
>> 	Sites like ours that mount files from Novell or other 8x3
>> filename operating systems need to support htaccess files in those
>> directories, and it can't be the default (.htaccess).
>
>Umm... couldn't he just use AccessFileName to change it to something
>else? Or is he asking for something else?

    I think I see his point.  He has a mixed environment, with some
    served directories (probably the majority) being UNIX-native and
    able to use the canonical .htaccess name, and some which are NFS
    mounted (or the equivalent) from Novell or other systems.  He
    can't use .htaccess in these latter because the underlying
    filesystem won't permit it, and he doesn't want to go through all
    his native directories and rename the AccessFileName files to
    conform with the Novell restriction.  (I wouldn't want to warp my
    server's naming conventions like this, either.)

    I think what he wants is for AccessFileName to accept an ordered
    list of values as DirectoryIndex does.  I don't know if I get a
    vote, but this seems quite a reasonable enhancement, supportive of
    heterogeneous environments.  As an enhancement rather than a bug
    fix, it should probably wait 'til 1.3 <grin> or 2.0.. but IMHO it
    would be a Good Thing then.

    #ken    :-)}