httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/htdocs/manual/misc fin_wait_2.html
Date Fri, 31 Jan 1997 01:12:07 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> 	- before the close gets to the client, it tries to send
> 	  a new request.

It's not so much before the close gets to the client, although
that is a possibility, but the client not chcking for an open
connection. The above seems to imply that a server cannot ever
close/timeout a port since a client may decide to try to send
stuff thru it, unless the server goes thru extra pain to
accomodate incoming data even after a timeout. This just doesn't
seem right somehow... A timeout means the server is tired of
holding the connection open and worrying about it.

I have a copy of RST's threaded-apache here which includes some
hooks with a lingering close... I will condense and post.

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"