httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: Agenda for 1.2b7
Date Thu, 30 Jan 1997 12:19:32 GMT

In article <199701292225.OAA25167@gabber.c2.net> you wrote:
> > Having said all that, I don't think that the Apache group can be expected
> > to track down every contributed module author to sync changes with
> > their own release cycle. This whole release thing is getting tough enough
> > to pull off.
> >
> > I hope that Ralf can help us get things in sync. Do we have concerns
> > about some of the new features of his latest version?

>   I think that yes, it should be Ralf's responsibility to make
> sure that Apache has the latest version of mod_rewrite, if we are
> going to bundle it. (I do want to bundle it.) If the apache version of
> mod_rewrite differs from an 'official version' of mod_rewrite, then
> Ralf can submit patches against the apache mod_rewrite to update
> it. If the apache mod_rewrite doesn't change, then he should tell the
> group "ok, version X is release, please commit it." Ralf should not
> rely on the group reading "new version announcements" posted to the
> list. He should explicitly tell the group "please commit my new
> version."
>   I think the above will make sync'ing easier, etc.

Ok, but I HAVE posted my 2.4.0 announce to the list and already said that we
should commit it for 1.2b5! But no response. Instead the group committed the
snprintf patches and 1.2b6 was broken. Hmmm... what should I do?

>   With respect to snprintf, Ralf wants to be able to #ifdef
> around calls to snprintf for apache 1.1.1 compatibility? I don't know
> if that's such a good idea..

Yes, it does not look nice, so I have not done it yet. It would be better if I
would say "2.4.1 is the latest for Apache 1.1.1" and then strip out all
1.1.1-#ifdefs and put in the snprintf patch and then commit it for 1.2b7.
This would be the best this time!

BUT THIS DOESN'T SOLVE THE PROBLEM of patches to mod_rewrite from the Apache
Group without any +1 from me...

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com