httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject Re: Agenda for 1.2b7
Date Wed, 29 Jan 1997 21:31:17 GMT
> 1.2b7 status as of Wed Jan 29 10:53:26 MST 1997
>

>   * Committed since 1.2b6:
> 	* FIN_WAIT_2 page to documentation
> 	* mod_info corruption bug
>
>   * Some mirrors are out-of-date, Brian will investigate
>
> Agenda for 1.2b7-dev
> ====================
>
> Patches ready for testing, voting:
>
>   * mod_rewrite sizeof() bug

I may not speak for the group when I say this, but with bugs like
this one, it hardly needs a vote in my opinion. I'm an anarchist though...
:)

+1

>   * Apache doesn't output the full headers on a 2xx or 3xx status
>        If Apache returns a 2xx or 3xx status it does not output all
>        the response headers it should do. This patch also updates the
>        headers it outputs to match HTTP/1.1.
>        Patch mailed on 3 Nov. [Paul Sutton]

+1

>   * try to integrate Ralf's mod_rewrite source with that in the Apache
>     tree and upgrade source in apache tree to latest(?)

Just a few comments about this situation...

mod_rewrite is a seriously nice addition to the Apache server. Truely
a must have piece of code in any server. However, by including any
module within the Apache distribution, the author is essentially agreeing
to work within the release schedule of Apache, and serve as the
primary maintainer for that piece of code. Any module author that chooses
to also release separately on their own schedule is taking on an extra
amount of work in doing so. I *think* that there are certain advantages
from an author's standpoint of getting a module included as standard
distribution, however I can also see some disadvantages.

Having said all that, I don't think that the Apache group can be expected
to track down every contributed module author to sync changes with
their own release cycle. This whole release thing is getting tough enough
to pull off.

I hope that Ralf can help us get things in sync. Do we have concerns
about some of the new features of his latest version?