httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Jason S. Clary" <r...@futurefx.com>
Subject HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.1 irony
Date Sun, 26 Jan 1997 23:11:22 GMT

Has anyone else noticed the irony of a supposed minor protocol
change that requires a draft spec that is 3 times longer than
its predecessor?

I just printed both HTTP/1.0 and HTTP/1.1 along with the other
related RFC's and HTTP/1.1 is HUGE...  1 1/2 inch thick BOOK...
HTTP/1.0 was less than a half inch.

Doesn't seem "minor" to me.. ;P

BTW, I've been reading this thing pretty closely.. what is
this need for threading that everyone is talking about?
It seems like it could all be done the same way its done now
with the possible exception of requiring output processing
even on CGIs (chunking and encoding and whatnot) which
would best be accomplished through threading but could
be done just as easily with fork() and a select loop on
the output of the forked process.

I haven't read the whole thing yet..  Maybe I'be not gotten
to that bit yet...  But I've skimmed most of it and am not
settling in to an in-depth read.

BTW, does anyone know if the SHTTP spec complies with HTTP/1.1?
It seems like you could use the content encoding headers to
specify say a PEM format or something...  Of course, it could
be a problem to use CGI style URI extensions since many CGI's
pass sensative data via the URI which wouldn't be encoded.
Course, a CGI wanting to be secure could request the client
encode the parameters as a post or other data and include it
as an entity in the request.  It would require an entity on
transactions anyways, to include a public key for the session.
making it a multipart entity shouldn't hurt.  But it won't
be backward compatible.. :(

Course, the security won't be backward compatible so that shouldn't
make a big difference.

Just looking for alternatives to SSL.  I'd prefer low level encryption
on the IP stack with optional authentication by other means like
an HTTP auth sequence of sorts.  Currently HTTPS can't support
renegotiate key exchange in the middle of a transaction so there's
no simple way to implament multiple keys for various parts of
the document space on a server.  Which, until smartcards and whatnot
are common, is unfortunately what you HAVE to do since you can
have all sorts of keys for various things.

Ohwell..

Jason S. Clary