httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: lingering_close
Date Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:44:19 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> The whole point of needing lingering_close() is that we have to keep
> taking data until the client acknowledges that it has gotten all the data
> we sent it.

I'm not sure if that's right. I though the whole idea was that
some clients continued sending data even if we've already slammed
the door shut. Like a door-to-door Fuller Brush salesman at your
door still talking and doing his pitch on your porch long
after you've closed the door. Instead, we keep the door open
and listen to his pitch twiddling our thumbs until he says
"I'm done" and we say "no thanks" and then slam the door.

We also can stop accepting data after some "timeout" period
as well; we don't need to listen to all of it I think. Some
sort of delay before the close would be helpful and would
seem to be all that's required to allow the client to
get it's affairs in order and handle the RST.

Maybe a happy medium would be:

	shutdown output end on server
	read some data, but not all (4k or so)
	slam it shut