httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: lingering_close
Date Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:14:18 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> If it takes more than keep_alive_timeout seconds for the server to finish
> sending the data to the client, doesn't the current lingering_close still
> offer the possibility of truncating data on the broken SVR4 systems,
> especially if keep_alive_timeout is really low?
>
> Perhaps we need to set the select timeout to something like
> max(keep_alive_timeout, 10), where 10 is some number that probably isn't
> 10?
>
> I should have a lingering_close cleanup patch (mostly stuff discussed
> already) available for comments later tonight...

Does it make sense to continue slurping data even if we know
it's just gonna be thrown away. This seems like a real easy
way to overload servers... PUT some large data, making sure authent
fails - rinse - repeat

I'm not sure what the answer is, but this seems nasty.

Also, the FIN_WAIT_2 stuff seems to me looking less like an
artifact of lingering_close, what with the 1.1.3 reports....
Are we possibly setting some sock-opts we shouldn't? Maybe
keepalive or nodelay.... I know, I'm reaching here :)

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"