httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: snprintf and release schedule
Date Mon, 20 Jan 1997 00:36:13 GMT
Ben Laurie wrote:

> You are taking the optimistic view that OSes actually work as they are
> supposed to. I'm coming from the stance that they don't. We need to have
> _all_ the possible solutions available so we can see what works for each
> platform.

Yeah, but before we added the lingering_close function, all we did
was the bclose() and, as far as I can recall, worked fine for everyone
except for the nasty SysV4 ones. That leads my to believe that it worked
before. If shutdown/bclose() "should" work for SysV4, then we should
do that. I'm against adding the shutdown by default since we are
then assuming that all OSs handle that OK, and that's what burned us
with l_c().

I agree that the main default be bclose() w/o shutdown. For SysV4
systems we add shutdown. On the "back burner" we keep other options
but only if people report problems with one of the above 2. We can
also test internally (all of us) just in case, but not for betas.
I think that might be asking too much :)

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"