httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Randy Terbush <ra...@zyzzyva.com>
Subject lingering close
Date Sat, 18 Jan 1997 19:08:53 GMT

I would like to compare notes with others who are debugging this.
Rather than flood the list with what, at this point, is speculative
discussion, mail me privately and we'll begin building an alias for
whomever is interested.

I've looked at a lot of debug code coming from the area that I feel
shows a problem.

One thing that I have run across as I pour through the Steven's TCP
books is that it seems to me that FIN_WAIT_2 is a state passed off
to the kernel, and subsequent calls to shutdown() will not move
the state to TIME_WAIT. This leads me to think that unless the
kernel supports timeouts of FIN_WAIT_2, we are hurting ourselves
by using the half-close.

It also looks like we could write our own shutdown() that is a
bit smarter. Currently, I think that there is a race condition
present that allows us to call shutdown on a connection that is
no longer present. No biggie. But could help us debug this if we
do a better job of limiting the sockets that actually make it to
this routine.