httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: not a bug actually, minor suggestion for mod_userdir.c (fwd)
Date Sat, 18 Jan 1997 09:21:30 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.95.970117181427.27835D-100000@alive.ampr.ab.ca> you wrote:

>[...]
> I think it could go to the "semi-hack patches for very site-specific
> things" directory; having source means you can do these things very
> easily, and examples don't hurt.

>[...]
> > Attached is patch which allows UserDir to have following capability:
> >
> >     UserDir      /home/+/public_html
> >
> > Using the + instead of * tells it to expand to:
> >
> >     /home/u/userid/public_html
> >
> > instead of
> >
> >     /home/userid/public_html
> >
> > In otherwords move the users directories down one level into a directory
> > based on the first character of their userid.
> >
> > This makes supporting web servers with homepages for several thousands
> > of users a little easier.

Yes, I also think that this change is too site specific and should not
officially included into the mod_userdir.c.

BTW: Such site-specific stuff can be easily configured with mod_rewrite
     without the need for patching any source.  This power is the reason why
     we included mod_rewrite beside mod_userdir ;-)
       RewriteEngine on
       RewriteRule   ^/~(([a-z])[a-z0-9]+)(.*)  /home/$2/$1/public_html$3
     This ruleset does exactly what you want.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        http://www.engelschall.com/