httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: [BUG]: "rewriteengine options not found in .htaccess" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Fri, 17 Jan 1997 20:17:21 GMT

In article <Pine.BSF.3.91.970115184011.5437B-100000@ponty.imdb.com> you wrote:

> I have a "AccessFileName .htaccess" line
> in my srm.conf and try to use the rewrite_module
> functions in my (top-level) .htaccess.

> I have the following lines in my .htaccess file:
> RewriteEngine on
> RewriteLog logs/rewrite.log
> RewriteLogLevel 9
> RewriteRule ^/e/(.*)$ /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/e/$1 [L]
> RewriteRule ^/(.*)$ /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/d/$1 [L]

> But it does not work. It seems that the apache completely ignores
> the .htaccess file, because no rewrite.log is created.

I think it is the following point from the mod_rewrite documentation:

  Notice! To enable the rewriting engine for per-directory configuration files
  you need to set ``RewriteEngine On'' in these files and ``Option
  FollowSymLinks'' enabled. If your administrator has disabled override of
  FollowSymLinks for a user's directory, then you cannot use the rewriting
  engine. This restriction is needed for security reasons.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com
                                        http://www.engelschall.com/