httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: and now back to snprintf (fwd)
Date Thu, 16 Jan 1997 03:19:12 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> What are you suggesting your wrapper around sprintf() for?  I was under
> the impression that you were suggesting avoiding portability problems with
> our snprintf() implementation by simply using a wrapper around sprintf()
> instead, but looking at what you are saying now perhaps that is a
> mistaken impression?

Sounds like it... I recall awhile ago we were considering a switched
approach to the snprintf-availability problem. We had:

	1. If the OS has snprintf() already, use it
	2. If not, then use our ap_snprintf()
	3. If for some reason #2 doesn't work, then
	    we would provide a USE_SPRINTF_AS_SNPRINTF
	    option as a last resort.

All my comments were about #3... I'm not really comfy with #3
since it opens us up to notices like "If you compiled Apache
using their USE_SPRINTF_AS_SNPRINTF option -blah blah blah-" :)
If we do #3, then it should be the braindead version used in
DB
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"