httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: lingering_close
Date Tue, 14 Jan 1997 20:20:15 GMT
Marc Slemko liltingly intones:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:
>
> > We currently _aren't_ calling lingering_close() in timeout().
> > I'm of the opinion that we should be. We call blclose() which
> > is closing the socket. We then longjump back to child_main()
> > where I _think_ that we are calling lingering_close() which
> > leads to the "Invalid argument" error coming from the error
> > code I added to the first shutdown() call in lingering_close().
>
> I can't comment on where what is being done and where what should be done
> since I don't have the time to look through the code right now, but I
> iff NO_LINGCLOSE helps, then the problem is not likely to be due to not
> using lingering_close() in timeout() because we didn't do that
> before because it didn't exist before and it did work fine for
> people that are now haveing problems.  That doesn't necessarily
> mean what we are doing now is right or shouldn't be changed.

Well, it looks like Randy's correct, from what I read in the code.
OTOH, what you say is true, too. The syndrome I see with 40-50 hits/sec
testing at home is that the server looks like it's closing everything,
or nearly so. That doesn't look right.

> Keep in mind that we may be seeing multiple problems here, since some
> don't seem to be helped by NO_LINGCLOSE.

Yep. It's possible the patch I mentioned helps SGI folks who set
-DNO_LINGCLOSE.

*Heeeeey*. What happens if you use -DUSE_SO_LINGER with -DNO_LINGCLOSE?
The lingering close was supposed to replace using the socket option.
I think one or the other should be defined, but not both or neither. I'll
try this at home tonight.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
"This process can check if this value is zero, and if it is, it does
something child-like."
		-- Forbes Burkowski, Computer Science 454