httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: ROUS' and IRC as a development environment
Date Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:32:43 GMT
I think there have been several suggestions like this.  But I think
it's a bad idea, mainly cuz of:

1)	online costs are prohibitive for some of us
2)	IRC is a piece of shit
3)	chat doesn't log discussions in an email archive, actually,
	this is the single most important reason.  It would be
	*very* r0ng to encourage people to use a development vehicle
	that broke the peer-review principals of the group.  email
	is operationally the lowest common denominator, and is
	archive/x-reference friendly, this matters a great deal.

Of course, chatting to people is cool and works quite well for
relatively less complex problem-solving, either by IRC/MOO or the
more 'rocket-science' TeamRooms approaches that are currently being
developed.

In an alternative dimension I design chat clients, but I still
think it's a lousy development vehicle for an entity the like of
Apache Group.  Hem.

Cheers,
Ay.

Mmm, so, that's 3 posts in a week from me.  This is probably a
record.

Root:

--
Andrew.Wilson@cm.cf.ac.uk http://www.cm.cf.ac.uk/User/Andrew.Wilson/