httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Clary <jcl...@futurefx.com>
Subject Re: your mail
Date Sat, 11 Jan 1997 23:26:46 GMT

Is anyone fiddling with the idea of ESL(Lite) integration that anyone
here knows about?  Lite, just in case you don't know, is a sortof script
language that for all intensive purposes looks just like C other than
the fact that it does automatic memory allocation and garbage collection.
It is designed to work with mSQL and its part of the Minerva project.
Its also a compilable laguage to some degree..  it uses a byte-code
engine sortof like java but it should seem instantly recognizable
to anyone who codes C and anyone who codes C can pick it up in under
5 minutes.

The advantage here, of course, is that its a script language so users
could upload lite scripts without having to have access to a compiler
on the machine (for security sake, not allownig shells) and also there's
a pretty nice CGI that if noone else does it, I'm going to make into
a module because it lets you imbed ESL/Lite within your html.

I don't like the w3-msql cgi because you loose some capabilities inherent
in ssi because its not integrated into the server...

I dunno, just asking.. ;P  Since you people obviously aren't opposed
to adding script languages into apache as standard.. ;)

Jason