httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Finish 1.2!
Date Sat, 11 Jan 1997 19:39:11 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jan 1997, Chuck Murcko wrote:
>
> > Jim Jagielski liltingly intones:

> > > Agreed.
> > >
> > Unfortunately, we then have to verify that each OS' snprintf() works as
> > advertised. I'd rather use our own, and verify it once.
> >
> > One of the security advantages of xinetd is that it isn't compromised by
> > cockups in libc.
>
> On the other hand, I would guess that our snprintf will be _far_ slower
> than most vendor ones.

Quite possibly. BSD-based (and sfio too) simply call fprintf() with
the needed magic for the core to know that it's writing to a buffer
and not a file. Now, of course, that core might be lackluster in
performance...

It would be easy to have Configure look for snprintf(), see if it
works and, if neither, use ours. This can be done towards the end
using all the accumulated knowledge about compilers, flags, etc.

                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"