httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Clary <jcl...@futurefx.com>
Subject Re: SSL-US Module (SSL 3.0 for US only)
Date Fri, 10 Jan 1997 07:39:48 GMT
> > SSLus Module
> >    for Apache
>
> Yup, that would be preferable.
>
> 	Brian

Ok, working on it.. I didn't get a response while I had the resources
to do it so it will be tomorrow before its changed.  Actualy, I did
a couple of test ones before I left just in case you said that and
I didn't like any of them.. I was trying to get the For the same
gradient as the word Apache and that wasn't working at all.. didn't
look right.. black looked horrible... I'll figure out something..

I hope thats acceptable..  btw, I put a note about trademarks at
the bottom..  and put "Please visit" over the apache httpd project
icon which links back to http://www.apache.org/

Thats in the button bar, there will be more buttons for RSA and
SSLRef and SSLeay and Apache SSL so it will be in good company and
noticably a link to elsewhere.

Umm, About the feather..  The reason I did the logo that way, and as
I said its not actualy the logo of SSL-US (otherwise it would say SSL-US,
not just SSL) but its a general logo I thought would look cute for
SSL on Apache.. or SSL lock on top of an apache feather...  If Ben
likes it I'll let him use it.. or anyone else for that matter.  And
if you have other uses (just saying its a strong and secure server (i.e.
secure from general attacks for the most part) you could easily (or I could,
I have it in layers in photoshop) remove the SSL and use it as is.

I am hereby giving putting the Lock & Feather logo under the same liscence
as Apache.. just don't tell people you did it all by your lonesome and
otherwise you can do whatever you like with it.

There..  does that solve the problem?  Note I removed Apache from the
actual name of the module, and the URL.  Other than moving the title
logo around a bit and adding for, I think its where it needs to be to
satisfy your request.

I'm wondering, does ben get to call his product Apache-SSL because
he's part of the group, or are you planning to try and get him to change
it?  Actualy, once the API is extended it wont matter much because
his will be nothing more than a module as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying "How come he can do it and I can't",
I'm just wondering about the situation.  Is he keeping the name Apache-SSL,
or is it going to be sortof an official spinoff projoect, or what?
Seems rude to ask him to stop after all this time, but if its in the best
interest of Apache.. then so be it..  BUT, I think you will find it slightly
difficult to trademark a name that is a common word. Apache httpd, yes..
Apache, no..  I mean, even Kleenex lost its trademark because it became
a household word.  You aren't likely to get one in most countries if
its obviously a common word from the get go.

Annoying, isn't it?