httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: nph- deprecation
Date Thu, 09 Jan 1997 20:13:35 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Jan 1997, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>
> > Huah! YES, at least when you need some way to output your own header lines and
> > HTTP request inside the CGI script. For instance inside a server-side
> > scripting language (ePerl, MetaHTML, ...) or even when you want to write error
> > documents which can do nifty things.
>
> I don't get this. A CGI script has complete control over all its
> headers, save ones like Server: and Date: which it should not be
> accessing. There should be nothing that a CGI script needs to do
> header-wise that it cannot do. If there is, that should be fixed.
>
> The only real reason to have nph scripts is to provide unbuffered
> output. And that can be done in other ways.

Would the following code-let work as desired without NPH:

	o unbuffer output
	o send header lines and some HTML
	o sleep 10 seconds
	o output the rest of the HTML

Now the desire is that the first part would be printed, the client
would "see" a 10 second delay, and then the rest of the page would
finish up. As I recall, without using nph-, the entire page would
load at once as the server waited for the 10 second pause before
sending the data.
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"