httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@engelschall.com (Ralf S. Engelschall)
Subject Re: nph- deprecation
Date Thu, 09 Jan 1997 14:24:33 GMT

In article <199701091238.HAA00584@shado.jaguNET.com> you wrote:
> sameer@c2.net wrote:
> >

> > 	Because of the dangers of nph-, as described here earlier,
> > I proposed:
> >
> > 1) an option to disable nph: NphDisable
> > 2) making my unbuffered cgi patch a "supported patch"
> >
> > 	Should I work on this? I'd like to let people avoid the nph-
> > security problem, and deprecating nph- has always been one of my
> > goals.
> >
> > 	I do think #1 is worth going into the beta, because it is a
> > security thing. #2 is too iffy/featurish to put in right now.
> >

> I'm +1 on #1 and 0 on #2...

> Just to refresh my memory, is support of nph- actually required?

Huah! YES, at least when you need some way to output your own header lines and
HTTP request inside the CGI script. For instance inside a server-side
scripting language (ePerl, MetaHTML, ...) or even when you want to write error
documents which can do nifty things.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@engelschall.com