httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: n + 1 MaxClients?
Date Thu, 09 Jan 1997 01:02:53 GMT
Ed Korthof liltingly intones:

> Looking at the code, I don't think that you actually had more than
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT -- probably the a child switched from idle to busy status
> while the functions counted the children were running.

No, I wasn't at HARD_SERVER_LIMIT at 256, I'm running a build with that
bumped up.

> However, there is one incorrect comparison (which still doesn't allow for more
> children than HARD_SERVER_LIMIT, though it would allow one more child than the
> maximum specified, if that was less than HARD_SERVER_LIMIT).   There is also
> the possibility of messing up your server if you specify StartServers >
> HARD_SERVER_LIMIT (the latter may cause fatal memory corruption -- it did in
> the one test I've run).  The attached patch fixes both of those.

The condition you describe is what I was seeing, one more child than the
max. configured. I was going to look at this now that I'm away from the
office frenzy, but it looks like you've scoped this out completely.

Thanks, Ed.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
ARCHDUKE FERDINAND FOUND ALIVE --