httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: snprintf()
Date Tue, 07 Jan 1997 18:04:33 GMT
Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Jan 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
>
> > Chuck Murcko wrote:
> > >
> > > Marc Slemko liltingly intones:

> > > This is a Good Thing.
> > >

> > If we provide a snprintf(), it _better_ work and compile. What's
> > the sense of rewriting code to us snprintf() when our failsafe for
> > snprintf() is a wrapper around sprintf()? :)
>
> If you are volunteering to test it on every platform that exists, I
> welcome your input.  But the fact is I don't think we have the resources
> required to test on every single platform that apache runs on before a
> release, no matter how early in the beta cycle this went in.  We can
> probably cover the platforms that somthing like 90% of the users use, but
> we need to be prepared for the case that it won't compile on some
> platform.  In that case, the ability to make it simply use a wrapper
> around sprintf means that Apache still works on that platform as well as
> it would have without any snprintf patches.

Feh... No way. If we decide to use snprintf() then we provide the
best one we can. If it doesn't compile on someone's OS, well, then
that's BAD news and we can point them to another simpler one, like
the one in sendmail. But pretending to provide snprintf() by wrapping
sprintf() is wrong wrong wrong.

Right now Apache requires regex and we provide one. We should do the
same with snprintf(). But we certainly don't provide some half-assed
non-working regex implementation that doesn't work but does compile.

If the holes are big enough to force us to snprintf(), then we better
do it right...

Geez... I'm guessing it would have been your opinion that we not include
regex unless we were able to test it on every OS out there? Or maybe
we shouldn't release Apache at _all_ unless we can personally test it
ourselves on every possible OS...

A very strong -1 on any release that includes such a brain-dead wrapper.
We do the best we can on providing a solid, "portable" snprintf() and
leave it at that. We do NOT sanction a simple wrapper, although there's
nothing against some porter doing it themselves for some weird OS.

Berkeley DB does that sort of thing, and I think it's nasty there too...
                  "Not the Craw... the CRAW!"