httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@n2k.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src CHANGES
Date Sun, 05 Jan 1997 11:26:20 GMT
Hmmm. Say I want to block www.musicblvd.com. What stops me from just
using 204.170.194.33 or whatever instead of a hostname? That makes the
proxy blocking pretty useless. So, that's what it's for, the NoCache
& ProxyBlock directives only. Not bulletproof, just a bit better than
string matching alone.

For the list size (10, totalitarians can hack their own source), I figured
a server HUP or USR1 would do for refreshing the address entries.

Addresses get looked up at server startup. Shouldn't be that hard to
stick a refresh in to keep 'em current. Neither should a lightweight
BIND. I thought it was overkill for this. The idea was to save
folks having to put two or more entries into their lists to really
cover a given site.

Man, you get up early. 8^)

sameer liltingly intones:

> 	IP address caching? What's this? I have nothing against
> caching IP addresses, but if you are going to cache IP addresses, you
> had better support TTLs, etc. (i.e. implement lightweight BIND) If
> not, then this is like Netscape's nasty bug.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
On-line, adj.:
	The idea that a human being should always be accessible to a
computer.