httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Nathan Neulinger <nn...@umr.edu>
Subject Re: non-ip based virtual hosting - anyone compiled a list
Date Tue, 31 Dec 1996 14:22:44 GMT
At 8:22 PM -0800 12/30/96, Alexei Kosut wrote:
>On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>
>> Has anyone compiled a list of browsers that work with the "Host:" based
>> virtual host support in Apache 1.1+?
>
>I know Brian at one point was looking at this. I don't know if he
>still is.
>
>My guess at this point, given that I know Netscape 2.0+ and MSIE 2.0+ both
>send it, is that 80%-90% of requests have a Host: header. But that's
>just a guess.
>
>> If anyone has done so, please let me know. I'm trying to decide whether or
>> not to use this support for a bunch of new virtual hosts we are
>> implementing. I really need to be able to let the people know what browsers
>> will work, so they can make a decision as to whether or not to use the new
>> support or to stick with assigning an IP per host (which on a class-C is
>> limiting.)
>
>You can always use ServerPath.

True. Was figuring that I'd probably just force the virtual hosts to put
everything under:

	http://www.company1.com/company1/
or
	http://www.companies.com/company1/

That way, they don't need to worry about links being made to the correct
location. Then, at some later date, they could always just Rewrite the
/company1 to /.

-- Nathan

Nathan Neulinger                  Univ. of Missouri - Rolla
EMail: nneul@umr.edu                  Computing Services
WWW: http://www.umr.edu/~nneul      SysAdmin: rollanet.org