httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: AOL patch
Date Sun, 22 Dec 1996 21:02:24 GMT
On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I'm starting to get many requests for a patch to solve this problem.
> I think it would be good to make an acceptable solution available.

[...]

> Question: Do we want to include this change in 1.2b3?

No. Not until we here from AOL. Remember, it only takes a few minutes
for AOL to change their proxies. It could take months for all the
users of 1.2b[12] to switch over, maybe even longer (I know one site
that's still running 1.1b1).

And it'd probably be as effective as the Mozilla/2 BrowserMatch line -
it's doubtful to me that people who are *upgrading* their servers (as
opposed to getting Apache for the first time) are going to check the
default config files for new lines, such as these. So odds are they
wouldn't put in the AOL line either, unless they got enough complaints
to warrant an "investigation" on their part, in which case they might
as well just be given the patch.

BTW, re Roy's patch: I just glanced at it, but isn't it missing a } or
two?