httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: AOL Patch
Date Sun, 22 Dec 1996 08:39:22 GMT
On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

[header parse API hook]

> I think I resisted because I was afraid of featuritis.  If it's the most
> elegant way to attack this problem, then maybe it's worth delaying 1.2 a little
> bit for, I don't know.

I agree that it's needed, but I don't think 1.2 is the place for
it. Actually, when implementing chunked transfer-coding, and thinking
about how one would write a module to do that instead (assuming 2.0
has something like stacked file disciplines in sfio, as does RST's
software), you need at least three additional API levels than we have
now - using chunked as an example:

Pre-header: check whether or not to use chunked. If so, set
            Transfer-Encoding header.

Post-header/pre-body: stack in chunked filter code

Post-body: send end chunk, footers. Unstack chunked filter.

The last could be done right now in logging phase, but a seperate phase
should probably be added, since semantically, the logging could be
done after the server has finished with the connection (in fact,
that's something I suggested a while back - if a certain method of
logging takes a noticable amount of time, especially when the
connection is being kept alive, it might make sense to spin off the
logging phase as another process or thread).

The point here being that there are a number of new API phases that
could come in handy at times. I say we wait for 2.0.