httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: HTTP/1.1 header problem (fwd)
Date Sat, 21 Dec 1996 06:18:45 GMT
On Fri, 20 Dec 1996, Randy Terbush wrote:

> > In the spirit of making things work, our development team will work on
> > a way to
> > downgrade HTTP/1.1 requests and responses to HTTP/1.0. Until then, would you
> > folks consider having your server respond to HTTP/1.0 requests with HTTP/1.0
> > replies?
>
> I say "absolutely not". We would no longer be a 1.1 compliant server if
> we made this change. Secondly, What client is sending 1.1 requests to
> their proxies that they have to worry about downgrading?

Actually, Apache would still be a HTTP/1.1 compliant server, since the
HTTP/1.1 specification only defines HTTP/1.1. It would actually turn
into two servers, a HTTP/1.0 server and a HTTP/1.1 server, that would
transparently switch (kinda like that box you can buy that can route
an incoming phone call to your phone or your fax or your modem,
depending on what kind of call it is).

And it's certainly feasible, code-wise. But I don't agree with it.

The most annoying part of this whole thing is this: if AOL had had
code written a year ago that was super-strict about requiring HTTP/1.0
as the response, that would have been okay, since it would have been
an honest bug (or at least a mistake). But apparently they've
decided that, in a recent upgrade, they are going to dicate that this
is not legal.

My favorite part is the message quoted in
http://www.apache.org/info/aol-http.html that says "We wanted to
[become] a de facto standard." Uh huh. Right. If there's a de facto
standard, it's Apache. We were here first.

At least, that's my take on it.