httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: AOL Browser problem
Date Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:19:00 GMT
On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> rasmus@mail1.bellglobal.com wrote:
>
> >I don't think we have much choice here.  We need to add a way to check the
> >browser and if it is AOL 3.0 send a HTTP/1.0 header.  Something like:
> >
> >    BrowserMatch "AOL 3.0" FORCE_HTTP_VERSION10
>
> Sure we have a choice. Let the crap browsers break. AOL 3.0 won't last
> long if it can't access lots of popular sites. It'll last a lot longer
> if we humor it.

Agreed. Has anyone contacted AOL about this? Based on Brian's
description, I'm not totally covinced it is AOL 3.0, but that it could
just be AOL's proxies - running Netscape with AOL 3's TCP code
certainly doesn't go through AOL's proxies, and it's entirely possible
that AOL 2.5 and 3.0 use different proxy servers.

Besides, even if AOL 3.0 is to blame, and AOL doesn't want to issue
an update to all their users (which makes sense), they could easily
modify their proxy servers to translate HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/1.0 when
talking to an AOL 3.0 web browser.

Hopefully, AOL can solve this problem, since Apache (as has been
discussed on the http-wg list) is perfectly within its rights to send
HTTP/1.1 to HTTP/1.0 requests. Although it would be just as correct to
send HTTP/1.0 to HTTP/1.0 requests.