httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: apache 1.2b2 is much larger than 1.1.1
Date Mon, 16 Dec 1996 21:14:19 GMT
On Mon, 16 Dec 1996, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

[...]

> 3. "char *xx = pmalloc(...)";
>    This is fine for BSS and runtime stack but will perhaps decrease the speed
>    of the module. Because the function we discuss here are used a lot.

This assertaion of speed decrease has always bothered me. I don't know
enough about the pool code to say for certain, but it's my
understanding that it allocates memory in large chunks, and then
quickly doles that out in littler blocks when needed, so the
performance pentalty associated with, say, malloc(), isn't true of
palloc().

Anyone more familiar with the alloc code, and could say for certain?