httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: what the...?
Date Tue, 10 Dec 1996 21:29:29 GMT
On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Notice the difference in "content-types" between the first and second request.
> brian/public_html/apdocs is a symlink to my checked-out CVS source.  This
> problem does not appear in /docs/.

[...]

>   HEAD /~brian/apdocs/manual/index.html HTTP/1.0
>
>   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
>   Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 20:27:04 GMT
>   Server: Apache/1.2b2
>   Connection: close
>   Set-Cookie: Apache=taz11370850249631692; path=/
>
>   Connection closed by foreign host.

This is due to the .htaccess file which someone should remove
already. On hyperreal, you have (I'm assuming) "AddType
text/x-server-parsed-html html", which makes all HTML files
server-parsed. But the .htaccess file has

<Files *.html>
SetHandler server-parsed
</Files>

Which causes the server to process the file, without regard to the
content-type, which in this case is text/x-server-parsed-html. And even if
we wanted to have the .htaccess file turn on parsing for these files
(which we wouldn't, because the files as they end up in the dist don't
use ssi, and the default config of Apache is to turn includes off),
this is the wrong solution, because (as you've seen), it only applies
to filenames that end with .html - with MultiViews, the filename is
"index", not "index.html" - the correct line would be "AddHandler
server-parsed html".

But at any rate, this is all wrong anyhow, and the .htaccess file
should be removed. IMHO, it should all be in the server config,
anyhow: since we do have control over our server config (right,
Brian?), we might as well use it and skip an .htaccess read.

So I've removed it.