httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: what do you mean I have to configure it now ?
Date Sat, 07 Dec 1996 03:27:18 GMT
On Fri, 6 Dec 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> (First, something for the wishlist - a config option to change the
> Server: name  ... it'd be nice to switch from Apache/2.0 to /2.1-dev with
> a SIGHUP :-)

I disagree. The server name should not be configurable, no more than a
web browser user should be able to manually set their User-Agent. (of
course, someone should have told that to Microsoft when they released
Internet Explorer 2.0 for the Mac. Although they did take it out in
3.0). And out of curiosity, why would you want to set your server name
at config time?