httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: apache_1.2b1: BrowserMatch: Browser regex could not be compiled.
Date Fri, 06 Dec 1996 00:39:33 GMT
On Thu, 5 Dec 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> Martin Kraemer wrote:

> >I just tried the new BrowserMatch directive. From the mod_browse.html
> >description I took....
> >->For example:
> >->
> >->    BrowserMatch ^Mozilla forms jpeg=yes browser=netscape
> >->    BrowserMatch "^Mozilla/[2-3]" tables agif frames javascript
> >->    BrowserMatch MSIE !javascript
> >but apache, when started, aborts at the first of these lines with the
> >message...
> >->Syntax error on line 32 of /home.../httpd.conf: Browser regex could not be compiled.

This is odd... these exact directives work just fine here, with both
the HP-UX regex library, and the Spencer one. Rob, do you know what OS
and regex library he's using? It's a very simple expression... it
would have to be one really screwed up implementation no to compile it
correctly. Maybe he just mistyped it, or got a control character in
there somehow?

Alexei Kosut <>      The Apache HTTP Server

View raw message