httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.2b2, AOL's proxy servers, and HTTP (fwd)
Date Mon, 23 Dec 1996 05:32:50 GMT

The voters speak.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 1996 00:41:37 -0500 (EST)
From: System Admin <root@where.com>
To: Brian Behlendorf <brian@organic.com>
Subject: Re: Apache 1.2b2, AOL's proxy servers, and HTTP

On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> If this problem is not addressed soon, we *may* post a workaround/hack on the
> Apache web site to deal with this, but this is definitely not a preferred
> option since it would violate the spirit of what we're trying to do here.

I would like to say (after running a server for over 2 years using Apache
for a large part of that) that I certainly hope you do NOT compromise the
quality of adherance to the standards simply because AOL has made a
mistake. If 40%% of the sites out there truly are running Apache then let
AOL fix their problem or let them lose their clients.

I personally will do without the AOL traffic for now... Please do it right
rather than acceding to a 800 pound gorilla who actually NEEDS our sites
to be visible to their paying clients...

> Thanks for your patience, and for using Apache.

Patience? Apache is the #1 server and comes out with upgrades faster than
any commercial product in the universe. It is a pleasure using Apache...

Sorry to spam your mailbox, but just wanted you to know that I think the
Apache team is doing a great job...

David Goldstein
leaf@where.com
root@where.com