httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: announce mail
Date Sun, 22 Dec 1996 01:16:04 GMT
On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> I sent them mail on Tuesday asking them to explain their actions to the
> Apache group. It took them this long to respond. I sent them my personal
> reply last night (no insults), I doubt I'll get a response.
>
> It's going to take a lot to get them to move now. A mass complaint
> and show of unity might be what's needed. They're trying to get us to
> compromise when the right answer is to stand firm and not accept their
> blackmail.

How about this message to apache-announce users:

########

Greetings, Apache users!

Apache 1.2b3 is still in the works.  In the meantime, we wanted to take some
time to talk with you about some problems which have surfaced with Apache 1.2
and AOL's proxy servers.

On December 14th, AOL implemented a change in their proxy servers which had the
effect of rejecting messages from servers claiming to support HTTP/1.1 when a
request from an HTTP/1.0 client is made.  Apache 1.2 is one of the first
half-dozen or so web servers to support HTTP/1.1, though not the only one.
The effect has been that anyone using the AOL browsers over an AOL connection
(MSIE or Netscape over AOL appear to be fine) can not access HTTP/1.1 servers.
This includes, of course, www.apache.org, www.imdb.org, and many others.

We are talking with the right folks at AOL now about how to fix this problem.
If this problem is not addressed soon, we may post a workaround/hack on the
Apache web site to deal with this, but this is definitely not a preferred
option since it would violate the spirit of what we're trying to do here.

For more information about this situation, you can read a document we have
prepared on this subject, at

  http://www.apache.org/info/aol-http.html

That is, if you're not using AOL's browsers of course.

Thanks for your patience, and for using Apache.

	Brian