httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/htdocs/manual index.html
Date Thu, 12 Dec 1996 00:50:06 GMT
On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Dec 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> >   Modified:    htdocs/manual  index.html
> >   Log:
> >   Forgot to include the footer here.
>
> Um... no, you didn't. You did, and I switched it for what was
> there. The footer there just has a link to "./", which in this case is just
> a link to the same file. It makes more sense to have the home ("../")
> link here, so you can return to where you came from.

Whatever the buttons link to, they should be consistant across pages.  In my
view "Index" would always point to the index of the current directory - on
pages like manual/index.html, manual/mod/index.html and manual/misc/index.html
it's the same page of course.  Whereas, "Home" would always point to the top
level of the manual - a redundancy which means the "Home" button is only on
pages in /mod and /misc.

Not that this is a clean set of semantics - I totally agree they aren't, and
would much rather see a "top" button on all pages, and perhaps "modules"
"directives", "FAQ's" and a few others as standard buttons on all or most
pages.  Feel free to propose a new set of semantics which can be consistantly
applied across pages.

But no matter what is decided, it makes sense to me to have the top-level page
pulling in the same toolbar as other documents at that directory level, and
that's why I changed it to footer.

	Brian