httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.com>
Subject Re: apache 1.2b2 is much larger than 1.1.1 (fwd)
Date Fri, 20 Dec 1996 20:02:25 GMT
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 19:57:00 -0500
From: John Robert LoVerso <john@loverso.southborough.ma.us>
To: rse@engelschall.com
Cc: Apache Developer ML <new-httpd@hyperreal.com>
Subject: Re: apache 1.2b2 is much larger than 1.1.1

> mod_rewrite is not reentrant in this way.
> ..and then all childs only process one request per time.

But static buffers will only work as long as any particular function that is
using them doesn't get re-invoked later down the call stack.  Code maintenance
down the line will be more difficult as a result.  Didn't that get learned
in the original NCSA server?

> Now, what is the best solution?

Stack-allocated, your #2 "char xx[MAX_STRING_LEN]" example.  I would think
that the performance difference between this and BSS allocated storage would
be in the noise.  If you think otherwise, you actually should measure it!

John