httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: 1.0 responses
Date Sun, 29 Dec 1996 12:00:25 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Dec 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > I still think it should be possible for Apache to send 1.0 responses to
> > selected clients. I also think this should be done with BrowserMatch (as should
> > auth). To do this we need to add the "header parse" API. I'm still prepared to
> > produce a patch for this (and I don't even have to ruin an evening to do it).
>
> I still think this is a bad idea at this point. It's very late in the
> beta cycle, and we should really be at the point where we should be
> closing up Apache 1.2, not adding more stuff to it.
>
> I just don't think it's a good idea.
>
> FWIW, Ben, can you explain exactly where in the request process this
> "header parse" phase would come into play? I think I'm still a bit
> hazy on that point.

It'd be the very first API called when a request has come in, immediately after
the request and headers have been read. BrowserMatch would use it to set env
vars according to browser, which would then be used by other modules/the core
to influence their behaviour.

The order of things at the moment is:

location/file/dir walk
access check
find types
fixups

I'd suggest it should go like this:

location/file/dir walk
header parse
access check
find types
fixups

mod_browser would hook header parse instead of fixups. Note that it should go
after the loc/file/dir walk so it can work with per-dir directives.

I agree we should be closing up Apache, but we have a problem. Some clients
can't handle 1.1 responses. There is not currently a clean way to fix this. We
can either say "Pah! Any client that can't handle 1.1 is broken" or we can
fix it.

Since the 1.0 spec is totally unclear on this point, I don't see that we are
justified in saying that 1.0 clients are broken if they refuse 1.1 responses.
In which case, Apache must be broken. OK, the refusal of 1.1 responses should
be deprecated, but does that mean we can just ignore the problem?

Actually, the 1.1 spec is pretty unclear, too, as we see from the WG.

Cheers,

Ben.